WordPress.org today announced the debut of WordPress 3.9, which adds a slew of â€œrefinementsâ€ to the blog management tool. You can download the new release now from WordPress.org/Download (itâ€™s 6.0MB).
Dubbed â€œSmithâ€ in honor of African-American jazz musician Jimmy Smith, WordPress 3.9 is supposed to give users a better understanding of how their content will look once it is published. The team has put together a video to show it off:
The new features are as follows:
- Improved visual editing: The new visual editor has improved speed, accessibility, and mobile support. You can paste into it from your word processor without wasting time to clean up messy styling.
- Edit images easily: With quicker access to crop and rotation tools, itâ€™s now much easier to edit your images while editing posts and scale images directly in the editor.
- Drag and drop your images: Uploading your images is now as simple as grabbing them from your desktop and dropping them in the editor.
- Gallery previews: Galleries display a beautiful grid of images right in the editor, just like they do in your published post.
- Do more with audio and video: Images have galleries, and now media clips have playlists.
- Live widget and header previews: Add, edit, and rearrange your siteâ€™s widgets right in the theme customizer: preview your changes live and only save them when youâ€™re ready. The improved header image tool also lets you upload, crop, and manage headers while customizing your theme.
- New theme browser: WordPress says you can now â€œlose yourself in the boundless supply of free WordPress.org themes.â€ Ha.
WordPress 3.8 was released in December. The company is pushing a faster release as of late, but version 3.8 came later than we expected, and we would not be surprised whatsoever if the company took its sweet time with the 4.0 release.
See also â€“ WordPress now powers 18.9% of the Web, has over 46m downloads, according to founder Matt Mullenweg and WordPress is 10 years old today: Hereâ€™s how itâ€™s changed the Web
Top Image Credit: Shutterstock
Article source: http://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/04/16/wordpress-3-9-arrives-better-media-editing-gallery-previews-audio-video-playlists/